design

Thursday 13 March 2014

Felt Hearts with Lace, beads and ribbon

Have you noticed that decorated felt hearts are all the rage at the moment? Well, if you haven't you must be hiding under a craft free stone. They are all over Pinterest. I decided that I wanted to make one of my own designs. So I'll tell you how I get started on designing any of the projects that I let you have for free on this blog.

Today's project is a pretty, purple felt heart that I've decorated in beads, ribbon, and lace. 



Keep in mind that these are the quantities that they are sold in, you won't use any where near so much and if you buy the pack of hearts you will be able to make at least 3 of these hearts with lots of ribbon beads and lace left over for other projects.

To make this heart you will need:

Some soft filling. I used kapok.
Cotton, I used an off white sewing cotton, nothing special really, just what I had in my sewing bag.

Once you've assembled these pretty bits and pieces, you will need to start by stitching the mauve damask ribbon to the felt heart. I believe that the stitch is called whip stitch, but it is simply sewing the edge of the ribbon to the heart. 

Now trim the ribbon to match the heart exactly.

Lay on a piece of lace and stitch that to the heart too. Trim the lace. 

Sew the lilac beads to the top section of the heart in a random pattern.

With the cotton,  I used a blanket stitch, join about three quarters of the heart. Remember to add, and stitch in, the loop. You can make it as long or as short as you like. Fill with enough filling to make the heart puffy and finish off the blanket stitch to close the heart.

Finished.

7 comments: